Thursday, July 11, 2013

Michigan and Mackinac Island !

We had such a great time visiting with Paul and Kristie and of course all the kids. Kristie is my brother Al's oldest daughter, I was able to go water skiing too. It was like riding a bike.  Yes, Kristie, I was able to ski on one ski...too bad you hurt your arm...maybe next time you can show up this old man... like I did you! Please send me a picture when you do !  I need proof !  LOL

I love you guys and thanks so much for the invite. I wish we could have stayed longer.  Don't forget, I will be in Florida all winter.

The "family" at Kristie and Paul's place on the lake
The little monsters...the great nieces & nephews
I was able to spend time with my older brother.  We were able to go fishing a few days on a "secret" river.  He would kick my butt if I wrote it on here.   He showed me all his and Reggie's favorite holes and how to fish them. Boy did we catch some nice big fish !   We caught Walleye, Trout, Pike, Catfish, and Large and Small Mouth Bass. I had a bet with Reggie, a 9 year old, who could catch the biggest fish.  He had me going for most of the day and was talking trash until I caught a great big catfish. I don't know many men that can out fish this kid.  He is good !!  I just got lucky !  Nice job Reggie !

After fishing my brother cooked up the fish. He knew Andy loves fish and doesn't have it very often, not one of my favorites. Andy was in heaven !  Best fish EVER she said!! I know from now on and wherever we go she will say  "It's not as good as Al's"  Thanks Al ...thanks a lot.  I will have to hear this from now on !


My older brother means the world to me.  He is like my best friend. He is the only brother I've really ever known as an adult.  It was extremely hard saying goodbye !  Hopefully, he can come out to Oregon when I get back so we can run the river.  Bring Reggie too !

My big brother and me
We took a day out from fishing and floated down the river.  As you can see I am one lucky dude !  The water wasn't too cold so it was nice just to pull over to swim and throw people into the river.  I think I had a little too much to drink...Oh well !
I am one lucky guy...me and all these girls....and one Reggie !
The next night Al and Laura had a big camp fire at their place. Andy decided she was done for the day, she was on the bus, so she stayed in the RV. She can't "hear" after dark anyway, lol. Lil Sheila my niece from Texas and two of her kids were there also. It was good to see them again. Thanks Sheila for taking the time to see me again.
Candace and her tribe (Al & Laura's middle daughter)
Laura and Lil Sheila

Erika and Al..she was scared to wear that hat !  Really Erika !
On the way to Mackinac Island we stopped and saw my sister Sheila.  It was great seeing her !!  She seems so happy and I couldn't be happier for her.  Sis you have such a cute place...I love it !  Thinking on moving in when we are done traveling. !

Me and my sister Sheila

We took two days out of our very busy schedule to visit Mackinac Island. LOL   The Island Prohibits personal motor vehicles of any type.  The only way to get around the island is walk, ride a bike or use a horse.  Many years ago when the automobile was first brought to the island it was scaring all the horses so they simply outlawed  them.  However, they do have one fire truck, a police cruiser and an ambulance.  I didn't see them.

Originally Michilimackinac, meaning the great turtle, the name was shortened to Mackinac.  It is the French spelling of an Indian word; the "c" at the end is silent.  The island was an important gathering place for the tribes and had a great spiritual significance to the Indians.

My question is why is it spelled Mackinaw and Mackinac ?  Does anybody really know !

Most people take a 18 minute ride on the ferry to get to the island.  After the lake freezes, about February, they can drive across the ice or fly into or out of their very small airport.  The ferry departs Mackinaw City, Michigan about every 30 minutes or you can drive across the Mackinac Bridge to St. Ignace, Michigan.  They too depart about every 30 minutes or so.

The fog was heavy as we powered towards Mackinac Island

Lighthouse as you enter the harbor


The Mackinac Bridge construction began in 1954 and was completed in 1957.  The total span is about 5 miles.  It is the largest suspension bridge in the western hemisphere and the third largest in the world.Andy would not let me drive her across it....no voluntary bridges for her!
 
As the fog was lifting
 The Grand Hotel has 385 rooms and first opened on July 10, 1887. The front porch is 660 feet long.  Two movies were filmed there at the Grand : "This Time for Keeps" in 1946 ; and "Somewhere in Time" in 1979.

While we were there we wanted to walk into the hotel and look around....NOPE !  They want $10 each !  I was shocked.  I asked "just to walk around".  Their answer was "yes but we could get $10 off at the lunch buffet".  I thought OK that sounds fair.. so we gave them our card.  Then Andy asked her how much the buffet was...$40 each.  Nope...we said thank you and left.  Maybe for some of you a $40 dollar buffet lunch is fine but "Preston does play that and neither does "Miss Andy"  lol

Andy by the Grand Hotel.  See if you can spot their $10 guard person...lol


The church was built in 1904 from stones gathered on the island

The stained glass depict the work of early missionaries to the island

So many horses doing all the heavy work. Hauling wood, trash, furniture. You name it ...they are hauling it.  They do have people picking up their poo though!  Ummm... as I think about it... who has the better deal!


So this is how wine was delivered in the olden days

This is one of the freight wagons on the island...how would you like to drive this Brent

Bikes everywhere too !
We took a narrated horse and carriage ride tour of the island. Such a beautiful place and they had "words" for Andy to read.
Honey and I
Arch Rock rises about 150 feet above Lake Huron and spans about 50 Feet
We spent a couple of hours touring the Fort.  It was very interesting and the views spectacular
View from the Fort
They actually fire the cannon, well not with a real cannon ball lol
 
Yes this is real !
Just a little flat ! Can't chase the bad guys until it's fixed
Your famous everywhere Mr. B
I added this picture because I can and to piss you off Kristie..LOL
We are now in Port Huron, Michigan and will crossing into Canada later this morning.  We will be heading towards Niagara Falls. We will spend a few days there then we will be heading northeast towards Nova Scotia.

No comments:

Post a Comment