Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Fun with the Funderburgs and the Family !

We finally made it to Dayton, Ohio, last week, to see my [now our] friends Dennis and Beth.  It has been way too long.  We had such a great time!!

For those of you that don't know. I met Dennis and Beth back in 2005 while on a Cruise.  We hung around during the cruise and when it was over, I told them " Have a good life".  I thought I wouldn't ever see them again since they lived in Ohio and I in Oregon.  Little did I know... I would see them again in Oregon, Hawaii and Ohio during the next few years.  I think Dennis planned this just to prove me wrong. LOL  If so, I am glad he did.
Andy, Dennis and Beth...happy people !
We decided to go canoeing.  The river was a little flooded around Dayton,Ohio so we decided to take a day trip to Indiana, another state sticker.  We had a blast!    Andy and I had to make a code so she would know what side to paddle on since she sat up front and couldn't hear me.  It was quite funny !  Dennis and I kept messing with her all day...lol  There must have been hundreds of people going down the river and the weather was perfect.

Beth and Dennis...what ab team
On Fathers Day they invited us over for a BBQ and to play "Corn Hole"  Yes...you saw correctly! Corn Hole !   I have never heard of this game...must be a weird Ohio or Midwest thing !  Who named this game ?

Andy trying to Corn Hole Beth ! 
 Their daughter Jennie and her husband David were there and we had so much fun.

Before the Corn Holing started
I think I Corn Holed Dennis three times and he Corn Holed me twice !LOL 

The Corn Hole Crew !
If you look closely...Dennis peeking thru the Corn Hole !
We were very sad to leave them. Dang those girls can talk!! Andy just fell in love with them both!   We decided to stay more in-touch and plan a vacation together in the near future.

Andy decided to finally write on this blog!  So this is her section !

Andy here...OK I'm on, lol!

My Aunt Margie
We have stayed in touch by email but I haven't seen my aunt in 16 years. Below are two of my cousins that I haven't seen in 22 years and 2 second cousins whom I have never met.  We had a blast during dinner my Aunt made for us. Nothing like family!! 

We are certainly a colorful group.

Sally, her daughter Elizabeth, me, Jacob Amy's son, Amy & Aunt Margie
Generations on my mom's side of the family have lived in Springfield, Ohio.  It was so cool to be able to see where both sets of my great grandparents lived. I also visited, with my Aunt, the cemetery where everyone is buried.  Going back to your roots, I guess you would say.





What day would be complete without stopping at a winery and doing a tasting.  Ohio wines are better than I anticipated.

Sign at the winery we visited
End of Andy comments

Yesterday we drove into Detroit to check out the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village.  As a kid I once went to Greenfield Village but I don't remember the Museum. 


This is the Limo that President Regan got pushed into after he got shot

This is the Limo that President Kennedy was shot in.  The roof is removable
President Kennedy's Limo
Model T...Bring back memories Otto ?
Andy's brother and sister's car seat..except it was blue...right Barbara??
Since we were at the Henry Ford Museum...why not got to Greenfield Village too.

Greenfield Village has a collection of nearly 100 historic buildings on a 200-acre site in Dearborn, Michigan.  It was established in 1933 by Henry Ford, who relocated or reconstructed buildings there from throughout the United States.  The villages includes the birthplaces, homes or workplaces of Ford, William Holmes McGuffey, Noah Webster, and Wilbur and Orville Wright.  Also featured is Thomas Edison's Lab and a courthouse where Abraham Lincoln practiced law.



Edison Lab
This is the first house wired for electricity. The wiring for many years were wired this way.



Love this picture of "Honey"
Working Steam Train
Today we arrived in Frankenmuth, Michigan and decided to go check it out and have lunch.  Frankenmuth was founded by German missionary from Bavaria.  The word Franken represents the Province of Franconia in the kingdom of Bavaria, and the word "Muth" means courage, so the city name of Frankenmuth means "courage of the Franconians".

Thinking of Babara and Dieter.


Glockenspiel
If you should ever go here..DON"T EAT HERE !  BAD !!



Andy said we are done eating out.  Too many bad meals except the exceptional one with Beth & Dennis..foo foo food that Andy loves




Just for you Ryan and Bri

This is the largest Christmas store in the world!  Any kind of ornament you ever thought you might want or need here.

Andy here again... I had a lot of fun shopping for that special ornament for that special someone...you know who you are!

Tomorrow morning we will be heading to the lake to see my family.  We are so very excited to see them all.  Reggie, I plan on kicking your butt fishing. Kristie you will learn to ski on one.

No comments:

Post a Comment