Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Four Beaches...Oh no a shark !


Clearwater Beach 

I had been to Clearwater Beach many years ago and couldn't wait for Andy to experience it. The beach is about a 30 minute drive northwest from MacDill AFB so we decided to take the day and relax on the beach.

We rented a couple of lounge chairs and just chilled.  They even had a four-wheeler delivering drinks so we had a couple foo foo drinks.  The weather was sunny and warm, about 82 Degrees.  The water was pretty warm since it is on the Gulf side.  I was like a kid, trying to body surf.  I didn't do very well, couldn't catch a big wave.  Oh that's right, it's the gulf and not the Atlantic! That explains it then !

I still have to pinch myself.  Here we are in late November laying and swimming on a beach in Florida and we aren't even on vacation. We are truly lucky !

View of the beach from the pier
We took a nice walk down the beach

The view from our spot on the beach


                                                             Treasure Island Beach

We found out there was going to be a sand sculpting competition on Treasure Island Beach so off we went.  Treasure Island beach is also about 30 minutes southeast from the AFB.

They were amazingly wonderful. Amazed how they can make those things. Amazed how they stay like that! We were blown away.


  • Jokers Wild




This sculpture was called communication.

Front
Back

This one was my favorite

In the largest hole was a surprise
How do they do this !
Now a word from our sponsors..lol

This beach is on the MacDill AFB in Tampa Bay !  It is right by the RV Park and Marina.  Behind me is the Restaurant and clubhouse.


I went down to the beach, when we first got here to check on the fishing. I noticed three guys standing out in the bay, about a mile out.  It seemed the water was only thigh high!  I wondered "what the heck are they doing out there"!  What about the tide ?   I asked some guys that were standing by the inlet, "what are they were doing out there".  They said  "fishing" !  Huh ~!  Fishing way out there...no boat ?  How did they get there?  What are they catching...what are they using..etc...

It seems you have to swim across a channel, inlet, that is 20 feet deep and 30 feet across during low tide.  Once across the channel you just walk out and fish.

What the heck is this you might ask !  My little fishing buddy !

The next day I saw two guys coming back from fishing.  They were each towing a platform that was tied around their waist.  The platforms were made from Styrofoam. The platform had a bucket in the middle and a rod holders place in it so they could carry more than one pole. In the bucket they had their fishing gear and stuff.

I saw them take off their shirts and placed them in the buckets and they swam across the channel while towing their platforms.  Once they were across I just had to talk to them.  We must have talked about 45 minutes or so.

Since I didn't have the time or equipment to make those fancy platforms I had to come up with something, so I too, can get out there and fish.  If I was with my buddy Casey we would have the best platforms in the world.  Stuff like this was his department.

I want to catch some fish too dang it !  Andy has been crying for me to catch some fresh fish since we were in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

See, I can make stuff too Otto and Casey ! 
So they next day I swam across the channel and went fishing.  I caught a nice size "Red" and one "Jack" in about 2 hours.   My little buddy worked just great !  I was able to bring my all fishing gear, coffee and a snack too! 

I did get a little freaked out while I was out fishing.  I must have been a mile out from where I crossed the channel.  All of a sudden the water started to boil, about 20 feet from me, small fish were jumping everywhere. Then I saw it !!!  Fins in the water !! I freaked ! I started back towards shore instantly. Moving as fast as as person can in thigh high water.  Just like a cartoon !  If I could have ran on top of the water I would have ! Then it hit me!  Oh those are not sharks fins but dolphins fins.  I continued to fish but still was a little hyper and on the watch. !  lol


 Nokonis Beach

Andy's Aunt Sue and Uncle Jim live about an hour south of Tampa Bay so we went down to see them.  Andy grew up with her aunt and is only 8 years older than Andy.   They haven't seen each other in over 10 years. 

Aunt Sue, Uncle Jim and Andy

They have a lovely home with an 1000 sq ft outdoor space that Andy was ready to move into.  The outdoor space which includes a swimming pool, complete outdoor kitchen and a view of the canal is completely  screened in so those Florida bugs, which include those dreaded Noseeums, can't get to you.   Jim made us wonderful ribeye dinner with all the trimmings.  Thank you guys ! We had such a good time.

I think they were afraid they would have permanent winter guests.

  Every Saturday night they do a drum circle on the beach just a few minutes from their house.  We of course wanted to check that out.  A group of people, you can too, get out their drums and play while "anyone" who desires may dance, hula hoop, or just act crazy in the circle.  Very entertaining and definitely not something you see everyday.  Lots of people there and it goes late into the night.

If you have a drum...just join in the beat
No drum...just watch and feel the beat...or you can move to the beat !






2 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish I had seen this earlier. One of those guys you saw fishing was most likely a high school friend of mine who now lives there. He fishes that area very often. If you met Bob V, with his floating bait platform, he was a classmate. Chuck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that ! I went down to the Base Marina soon after we got there and talked to the guy behind the counter. He said he didn't know much but informed me I should talk to Bob. I said "who is Bob". He told me Bob was the expert fisherman in the area that pulls a floating platform. As we were talking Bob came into the Marina. So of course I talked to Bob. He told me if I wasn't afraid of getting wet I should cross the channel, follow the shoreline a ways and then walk out into the bay as far as I could towards St. Petersburg. St. Petersburg is like on the other side of the bay!

      Now I am not saying that Bob was your Bob V. I am only thinking it good very well have been ! If he is, tell him that guy he talked to in the marina did as he instructed. Let him know I caught some fish and I said thank you Bob !

      Delete