Friday, February 28, 2014

Dry Tortugas National Park and hanging out with friends !

We decided to take a day trip to the Dry Tortugas National Park.  The park is about 70 miles due west of Key West and is made up of seven small barren islands.  The boat trip took 2 1/2 hours each way. What a wonderful day it was. The sun was shining with calm seas and a temperature of 83 degrees.

The Dry Tortugas was originally named "Las Tortugas (The Turtles) by explorer Pince de Leon in 1513, these islands soon became known as "Dry Tortugas" on mariners' charts to show that they had no fresh water.

The construction of Fort Jefferson began in 1846 and lasted more than 30 years.  It was never completed. Experts estimate that approximately 16 million bricks were used in construction of the fort, the largest masonry structure in the Western Hemisphere.

During the Civil War it was a Union military prison for captured deserters. Dr Mudd was the most famous prisoner ever housed at the Fort.  He is the man that set the broken leg of John Wilkes Booth, President Lincoln's assassin, was sentenced in 1863 to life but was pardoned in 1869 by then President Andrew Johnson.

The "Gang" on our way to the Dry Tortugas National Park
Many different colors of the water...this picture doesn't do it justice
One of the small island...must of had thousands of birds on it
Just amazing
Lighthouse, built in 1825, on Garden Key to warn sailors of rocky shoals.  
View of Fort Jefferson as we pull up to the dock
We can't get farther from Oregon and still stay in the country
Light house on top of Fort Jefferson
The our boat through the window of the Fort..well not really "our" boat
Beautiful view from inside Fort Jefferson
Walked around the fort's moat
Such a beautiful place...the water was very clear
I think Bert and Melody went in the water to pee...well maybe !
Keith..make him stop...he was mean to me all day !  He broke the poles not me !
Keith and his baby girl Keri.  So cute ! 
I was so tired after our day I just had to take a nap.  I tried to find a few chairs to sleep on but they were all taken.  Where oh where can I sleep !

I was happy to find a shoulder to sleep on...Barney not so much !  lol

Keith and Bert Knaack"s kids, Keri, her husband Rick, and their son Kurt, came down to visit for a week. We all hung out together which includes the Bender family.  What a group we make. I am the only "normal" person of the group. Andy commenting now...I guess that tells you all how crazy we are then! We have been having a blast !  

We have been eating out a lot more than we normally do.  I think we have had dinner in the RV like 8 times this month.  Andy sure seems to be enjoying this also.  Duh, lol 

Keith,Bert,Andy, Melody, Barney, Preston, Kurt, Keri and Rick ( Left to right)
Snapper dinner here in Key West
Bert destroyed that poor creature...she ate it like "corn on the cob" yum yum 
Knaack Family
kurt....OK ladies..stay calm !  He is 36 years old. Oh Yea..single too !  ha ha
Rick and Keri...ahhhh so cute !
Andy in her new stylish hat at Latitude Restaurant

People keep wearing my dang hair...hey get your own hair.
Keith....will it break your face to smile ?  Oh that's right...you broke both my fishing poles !
Keith...see how your wife smiles...try it someday.  
Father like son ! No smile
He calls himself.. "MR. COOL"   He is "NOT SINGLE" ladies
Oh my lord ! Silly girl !
Just look at that smile and cutie!
Bits and pieces


Mr fisherman...killer Barney !
Fun crazy dinner....AGAIN !!!
Another dinner...oh that's right...sorry Melody...Supper
Free water message at Dantes Pool
Keith, Preston (me) and Andy's toes at Dantes
Melody, her babies, and Andy (forgot to post last time)
Another sunset in Key West


Something I have been wanting to say on here for a long time.  I have spent many hours and days thinking about this.  I don't say this lightly however I want the world to know !!

Brent said to me a while back about how he has lost his only grandmother he has ever known and he is thankful he still has his grandfather.  I have never called anyone mom or considered anyone to be my mother except my real mom.  That has changed ! I have grown to love another woman I consider to me my mom. She has been like my mom more than anyone since my mother passed in 1979.

Brent you do have a grandmother because I feel and consider Barbara Bombach, Andy's mom, to be my mother.  I love her so very much and from this day forward she "IS" my mom.






No comments:

Post a Comment