Sunday, March 27, 2016

Mexico ! Maybe we shouldn't go !

Last year, while in Key West, Florida a few rigs got together for a meeting. We wanted to go to Mexico this winter.  None of us have ever taken our RV's there. I had read many blogs about RV's traveling into Mexico. Seems like people are doing it all the time. We decided to go !

But wait one minute! The US State Department advises not to travel into Mexico...just not safe! Maybe the Cartels would take us out ?  Maybe the local gangs will get us ? Maybe we will be bribed by the policia ? Maybe this...maybe that !  We have all heard about how unsafe it is to eat the food...drink the water ! Again, maybe we shouldn't go! Maybe we should just go back to Key West, Florida for the winter. Maybe just stay in Arizona.  We will be safe !  Be responsible !

I asked fellow RV'ers what they thought about going to Mexico. Most said they wouldn't go.  They said the crime rate was too high and was worried about their personal safety and the safety of their rig.  Most, if not all, advise me not to go ! We even had people that were going to go with us back out. They sighted safety reasons. Maybe we really shouldn't go !

I continued the research. I read everything I could get my eyes on.  The many blogs and posts from people that have traveled there and the ones that haven't traveled there but still gave their advice. I asked my friends Casey and Ann what they thought. They have been living on their sailboat in Mexico for years, but now have a motorhome down there.

I did learn about the Mexican vehicle insurance, phone, Internet and what paperwork we would need. I also learned about the tolls, the roads, where do we get Pesos, and how many do we need?  Can we use credits cards...or debit cards?  Maybe we should just use cash. However, do we really want to be caring lots of cash around with us? What about medical and dental care? Wow, that's a lot of stuff to deal with.  Things could go bad. Things could go wrong!  Maybe it's crazy to go!  Lets just stay safely in the States. Maybe people are right!

We picked January 5, 2016 for the crossing into Mexico. We would cross just south of Tucson, Arizona in Nogales.  We were going to head south to San Carlos, Senora, Mexico.  The drive would be about 6 hours. If anything goes wrong at least we could get back to the states quickly enough. I can do this !  The closer we got to that day the more stressed out I became. Maybe this is crazy !  Maybe it is just easier not to go!

In the wee hours, 0600, of January 5, 2016, my birthday,we departed Davis Mothan Air Force Base in Tucson, Arizona.  We had four rigs in tow.  We had our hand held radios and our route planned. We knew where to get fuel for the rigs before we crossed into Mexico.  We have never used a Mexican gas station before so we might as well get fuel here in the States. We have had our meetings. We checked our checklists. Everyone knew what to do in an emergency.  Now it's time to roll !  Maybe we shouldn't be doing this. Too late now !  We're going no matter what! Too late to back out now ! Hope I don't live to regret this decision!

We crossed the border into Mexico about 8:30 am. Crossing into Mexico was easy. Just stay on the road and dodge the people trying to wash your windshield or sell you stuff.

Our first stop was customs. Well, not really a stop, more like a slow roll. They waved us all through! However, if you are stopped, this is the place you would declare "stuff". We had no "stuff" to declare anyway.  This is also where you show proof of shot records for your pets. We have no pets but others did in our group. We were all waved through without having to stop. However, slow down because of the Topas. Topas are big nasty speed bumps that will tear up your car or rig. They were everywhere throughout our travels. They pop up anywhere and everywhere for no reason. Sometimes with a warning and sometimes without.

The next stop is KM 21. This is where you get your tourist card. If you are going south of Sonora State you will need to pay an import fee of your vehicle also.

Okay, now we are on the road. We are heading south towards San Carlos.  The drive takes longer than we thought. No problem...we are all doing good. The stress is melding away until we hit the town of Hermosillo.  Cars, trucks, buses, are everywhere. They are pulling in front of me...tailgating me like crazy. They are so close to the side of my rig I could brush their teeth. We need to make tight left turns...tight right turns. I am leading the group just like I did in the Army.  I am telling myself "you can't make a wrong turn...just follow the signs towards Guaymas. Stay calm Preston...stay calm.  You can do this! You drove tanks in the Army while in Germany damn you"! "Maybe this is too much" ! "Maybe I made a mistake". "Maybe we shouldn't have came here" !

After getting through the city of Hermosillo everything calmed back down. I felt more at ease. We made it! I still had all the rigs behind me.  I knew it was only a hour and half until we get safely to the RV Park in San Carlos. All was good again ! We were greeted at the RV Park by my friends Ann and Casey. We arrived around 3:30 PM. Our day started earlier that day when we woke at 0430. We were tired and whipped after our long trip. "Is it happy hour yet"?

All was not a bed of roses as we hoped.  No water, barely any internet, electricity goes on and off. What the heck?  How are we going to do this for 2 1/2 months?   We are supposed to have these amenities!! We were thinking "maybe we shouldn't have came here to Mexico"!

After calming down, the realization kicked in!  We are in Mexico for the winter!  Who gets to do this! So what, we don't have some of the creature comforts of home. Oh wait a minute...I do carry 100 gallons of water, I have a big generator. Chill out and just enjoy!  We did get water and electricity after a couple of days. We had to walk 50 feet, in the peak use hours, to the clubhouse to get the internet.  Not such a big deal! We are in sunny warm Mexico, how lucky are we.    I am glad we are here!

We spent 71 days in Mexico. Most of the time was in San Carlos, Mexico. We did take a small trip to Mazatlan for a week to experience Carnival.

Most of the fears and concerns about Mexico were unfounded in my opinion. Yes, bad things happen to good people, However, I don't feel it happens more in Mexico than anywhere else. I never felt threatened or worried about my personal safety or property.  All the people and rigs returned to the States safe and in good condition.  I believe we would all say again,

                                                 "LETS GO TO MEXICO !

No comments:

Post a Comment