Monday, December 19, 2011

We made it ! Smoke under DASH !!

We left Santa Nella, California at 0930 after our morning Starbucks.  We knew we are arriving in Southern California at Jeff & Christine's home, we should arrive around 3 pm.

About 150 miles from LA we stopped for gas. We had been smelling a "rubber smell "  for the last 40 miles or so but we thought it was coming from the truck ahead of us. We had been following that truck for about that long.  Maybe its their tires or brakes... so we didn't think to much about it!  Well "NOT" !  When we pulled into the gas station their wasn't enough room to maneuver, we are about 50ft long, so I decided to go somewhere else.  All of a sudden smoke was coming out from under the dash and around the back up camera...Holly crap !  Andy freaked me out...and freaked out !  She yells "oh my god a fire" so I quickly pulled away from the gas pumps and parked across the street. I turned off the engine and headlights.  I got out and looked under the hood...under the motorhome...everything looked  just fine.  As I was going down the road earlier I noticed that the oil pressure and temperature was just fine...so what could it be.  So after about 15-20 minutes I started the motorhome and let it run.  I was trying to see where all the smoke was coming from.  Nothing...no smoke...the engine was running great..oh what could it be ?  I was trying to think of everything and anything. Everything was good !  So I said "heck with this, we are going to try and make it to Christine's and Jeff's place which is 150 miles away. I thought I would go 10-15 miles and pull over and check everything out again.  So before I pulled away I tried to turn the headlight back on...I believe it's safer.  Nope ! The headlights wouldn't come on.  The selector switch was broke...how could that be..they were just on.  Then it hit me...I bet they shorted out and burned the plastic around it.  So we continued south along I-5 and then onto I-210 towards Covina...I was trying to smell a hint of "anything"  but as it turned out...Nothing.  Everything was going fine !  We arrived in Covina at 16:00 (4:00 pm).

We visited with the Dossey's last night and went to bed around 10:30 pm.  Well I did !  Andy stayed up in bed playing "Angry Birds" on her phone until well over midnight.  I never thought in a million years she would do something like that..."Not Andy"  We laughed about it all morning long.

This morning I got up and went outside and noticed a wet spot in front of and under the motorhome...is that water.  Where would water be coming from?  NOPE ! ...a oil leak from the lever jacks..now what !  I guess the seals are gone.  Christine called a person and they will come noon tomorrow.  I took apart the headlight switch this morning and called "Blue Lake RV in Portland and they will be sending me the parts to fix the melt down.

About an hour later,  Andy was looking in a drawer that was  under the fridge... she tells me everything was wet...everything ! I thought maybe condensation...but nope not today!  It was major water ! Oh my..not something else !!!!  I pulled out the drawer and noticed the hose for the ice machine, which we never use..ever, was spraying a fine mist.  OK i can fix this...I turned the valve to off !  LOL


Andy said "we should be good now because it always comes in threes"  I sure hope so !!  lol

Tonight Christine, Jeff and Andy are cooking dinner and we are going to hang out.  It is very good to see them,  I missed them tons.  Very good people !

Tomorrow, after they hopefully fix the jacks, we will be heading to Debra and Richards place in Hermosa Beach.  Will be leaving the Motorhome in Covina as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment