Tuesday, December 20, 2011

RV repair "Update" !

I ordered the part for the Headlight Switch and the Headlight Switch Connector from NAPA that my RV mechanic, Brad and his side kick Debi,  in Portland, Oregon (Blue lake RV Repair) recommended.  The parts arrive tomorrow, December 21, 2011, in Covina, California.  I asked Jeff if he would be so kind and pick those up tomorrow since I am at Debra's and Richard's place in Hermosa Beach.  BLUE LAKE RV REPAIR could have ordered the part and shipped it too me costing me lots of cash...RV parts just cost more at RV places for some reason...lol ! Instead they found the part number from Fleetwood  Motorhomes and then checked at NAPA Auto parts and found the NAPA part number and sent me that information.  So total cost for those parts is $50.00.  I am sure that saved me some cash.

The leveling jacks are a different story!  I had a mechanic come to Christine's and Jeff's place to take a look at the jacks.  He told me he would have to replace both jacks.  I informed him that my mechanic in Portland said we could get a seal replacement kit and it would take about an hour per jack.  He informed me he called the manufacture and they don't have or make seal kits and that I would have to replace both jacks.  I again told him what Brad said.  His remarks to me were " who do you trust your mechanic or the manufacture".
Each jacks costs $600.00 plus 100 hour for labor for a total cost of $1,400.00 plus a $60.00 service charge.  Wow  !! I thought that was expensive. I told him I would get back to him and paid him that $60.00 and sent him on his way.  I called Brad again and told him what the guy said.  He checked again and said the jack seal kits are $180.00 each for a total of $360.00. and he would order then from the manufacture and have them shipped out!  He said it might take a 2 weeks before I get them since the manufacture is closed for the Christmas Holidays.  He asked me to explain in great detail about the jacks problem, so I did !  He said since I wasn't losing pressure and fluid leak is not that huge. I would do just fine!  He told me to just watch the oil level every once in a while and refill if/when needed.  He will order the part and have it ready when I get back in May 2012.  If I needed them before then... he would ship them to me where ever I am. He told me the worst case scenario I would have to use wood to drive on to level the motorhome. He explained what to do if this or that happens. His final words were "Preston have fun and we will get it fixed when you get back".

So the decision was easy enough...$1400 now vs $360....I think I will go with the $360.00 when I get "back" !  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment